God has been speaking to me about patience this week. I don’t know why because I think I’ve been pretty patient over the years as I wait for certain things to transpire in my life. However, I’m realizing that perhaps I haven’t had the best understanding of what supernatural patience means. I looked up the definition of patience and this is what it says:
- the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
- an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay.
Two weeks ago I had surgery. It was necessary to stop the chronic pain I was having. But, I knew the healing process would be long and uncomfortable. I had to endure the pain of healing in order to know what it feels like to be whole again. Those first few days were tough. It hurt. I didn’t know if I could make it to recovery. I didn’t know if I WANTED to endure anymore. But, I had no choice. I was in the midst of healing. I just had to wait a little longer to realize it.
Have you ever found yourself praying something like this, “God, let your will be done in my life. But, if you could hurry up and show me what that is and what I need to do to get it—that would be great.” I have. How do we exercise true, supernatural patience? In my women’s daily devotional this week, Rachel Olsen describes patience like this:
- “Exercising patience isn’t just an exercise of the human will. The kind of patience Paul is talking about (in Col. 1:11) is a fruit of the Spirit developed in a woman’s soul in tandem with God. It’s a virtue that grows from her confidence in the sovereignty of God and His ability to bring all things to completion, in His timing, in a way that benefits His children and glorifies Him.” (emphasis mine)
Do I have confidence in God’s sovereignty? Yes. Do I believe He is working things out and loves me enough to give me the best? Yes. Then I must wait. Patiently.
Let this be your encouragement, friend. Whatever it is you are waiting on or for, turn your attention away from the restlessness and focus on the sovereignty of God. He sees. He knows. Remember that He is able. He created the Universe. He created you. He is working things out for his glory and your benefit.
Ecc. 7:8 “Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride.”
Rom. 15:15 “May God, who gives this patience and encouragement, help you live in complete harmony with each other—each with the attitude of Christ Jesus toward the other.”
Col. 1:11 “We also pray that you will be strengthened with this glorious power so that you will have all the patience and endurance you need.”
That's just what I need to hear . I have struggles with this in my life as well . It's good to take time and re-focus on where we are at, not only where we are going.
ReplyDeleteP.S. ( I love the blog, you're an amazing writer and I love reading it ) - Katie
I love your blog, too. It's a really neat feeling to be able to read something that a million people have written before, but for some reason, this one particular person can say it in a way that makes it a little easier to relate to.
ReplyDeleteI had a thought, though. As I was reading this entry about patience, I kept thinking about your previous post. Like you said, you don't want advice/Top 10/etc...and I'm not here to give that to you; however, maybe Rachel Olsen's devotional would apply. Food for thought.
Thanks for reading and giving input, girls. And, yeah, Lauren...that's probably why I've been thinking about patience. :-)
ReplyDelete