Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Even if Just Tomorrow

I’ve been in social work for a total of nine years, including educational internships. I’ve been at this job, working as a “Mental Health Professional” doing therapy with elementary aged children for almost three years. It’s a tough career. Some days are better than others. There’s very little praise. Plenty of stress to go around. And, I’ll be the first to admit I’ve had my fair share of apathy. I’m sure this makes me a bad therapist but, sometimes when my life is really hectic, I dread going to work. I don’t want to hear about other people’s problems when I can’t even deal with my own. There. I said it.
After the stress and emotional roller coaster of the last few weeks, I was more apathetic than ever—a great way to ensure early burn out. So for that reason, along with many others, I committed to doing away with social networking (i.e. Facebook, Twitter) and increasing my devotional and personal care time this week.

Today, I have been hit with the gravity of my job. It’s not just a job, but an assignment. I’ve been blessed to be in the lives of these kids. Even if I don’t see much “therapeutic progress”, I know that I will remember many of them forever, as they will me. And even if not, then hopefully they’ll at least remember an encouraging word…even if just for tomorrow…then, I’ve made a difference in their tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment