Monday, April 4, 2011

Don't Hold Your Breath

"Don't hold your breath." It's a phrase meaning don't wait on something to happen because it likely will not. So, holding your breath waiting for that thing to transpire would be impossible. Or fatal. I've also heard that phrase in the fitness world. Trainers emphasize the importance of proper breathing while working out. Many people, especially those who are not accustomed to strenuous work outs will tend to hold their breath. Other reasons why a person might hold their breath: to go underwater, in anticipation, excitement, to get rid of hiccups, or to wait for a bad smell to pass. haha...yeah... And, sometimes...we get the breath knocked out of us. Something hits you in the gut. You lose your balance and hit the ground. And, the wind is gone. I wonder if anyone has ever held their breath in anticipation of losing it? Like taking one last deep breath before going under water. Or, like I found myself doing last Christmas as I climbed the ladder to string the lights from the tallest pitch of my roof.

Lately, I've been catching myself holding my breath. Literally. I have to make a conscious decision to let the air go. The first time I realized I was doing it, I blew the air out and actually said to myself, "don't hold your breath." That statement struck me. Why was I holding my breath? And over the past two weeks, I've actually had to remind myself to breathe. How ridiculous! Who has to be reminded to breathe? And, the more that I make myself let the big breaths out, the more I feel like I'm giving up on something. But, breathing is a function of life. To breathe in and out every moment, every experience, every joy, and every pain is a gift, isn't it? So, to NOT breathe deeply with every moment would be giving up on something. Life.

Job 34:14-15 If he decided to hold his breath, every man, woman, and child would die for lack of air. God is working behind the scenes.

Job 37:10-13 It's God's breath that forms the ice. It's God's breath that turns lakes and rivers solid. And yes, it's God who fills clouds with rainwater and hurls lightning from them every which way. He puts them through their paces-first this way, then that-commands them to do what He says all over the world. Whether for discipline or grace or extravagant love, He makes sure they make their mark. A terrible beauty streams from God.

Gen. 2:7 God formed Man out of dirt from the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life. The Man came alive--a living soul!

So...when I breathe...I'm not just breathing in oxygen and out carbon dioxide. I'm breathing in and out...God! Yes, sometimes circumstances might knock the wind out for discipline, grace, or extravagant love (Job 37:13). But, if you've ever experienced having the air knocked out of you, you know what it's like to get that first deep breath back.

So, when I'm fearful of what might come and I find myself holding my breath, I'll hold fast to my faith and breathe out fear and breathe in God. When life happens and I'm gasping for air, I'll breathe in God. Instead of holding my breath in anticipation of what I want, I'll breathe in God knowing that all that comes with it will bring life.

No comments:

Post a Comment