Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Compassionate Treatment

(Originally posted on my old blog 12/4/08)

mer·cy :

Compassionate treatment, especially of those under one's power; clemency.
A disposition to be kind and forgiving: a heart full of mercy.
Something for which to be thankful; a blessing: It was a mercy that no one was hurt.
Alleviation of distress; relief: Taking in the refugees was an act of mercy.

Have you ever found yourself stuck? Stuck in a life phase. Stuck in transition. Stuck in a time rut. "Lost in Translation". 

I have several Latina kids on my caseload and when I do family therapy with them I have to use an interpretor. I never really know if they get the full gist of what I'm saying because the interpretor has to listen to me talk for several minutes to get the full thought before he can get an understanding of my point and then translate that thought into Spanish. Sometimes what may take me an entire paragraph to convey, he may be able to say in one sentence. There have been times when I stopped to think to myself, "Really? Did you really say all that I just said in those few little words? Surely, you couldn't have said it as eloquently and as profoundly as I did." Okay, I'm sure I didn't say it very eloquently either. lol. But, the point is there is uncertainty. I have to have faith in my interpretor and trust that my advice and instruction is being conveyed properly and in the manner I originally intended. I've worked with an interpretor before who just said whatever she wanted. She was giving her own advice instead of what I really said. I remember just sitting there not knowing what in the world she was telling them and wondering at what point I lost my authority and ceased to be the "expert".

Do you think God ever feels like I did in that session? We take one scripture, one direction, one revelation and suddenly think we are now an expert on our own life. We no longer listen to His authority, to His instruction. If we only listened and obeyed, it just might work. Then again, there are probably also some times when we just have to have faith in our interpretor (the Holy Spirit) and trust that we're getting the right information. Still, I know there are times when I've read a Word or gotten some instruction and it just doesn't make sense. I'm lost in the translation. And, so I feel like I'm sitting in the same place for months waiting for the next instruction or for further interpretation. I feel lost. Or maybe you've found yourself taking a step in the direction that made sense initially only to get there and feel like it's all wrong. It's so easy to wonder, "did I misunderstand?" And, suddenly so many other doubts come along with that one question of doubt. "Why is this happening to me? I just wanted to do what I thought was right. Why isn't it working out? Shouldn't I feel more successful and fruitful if this is really His will? Maybe there's something wrong with me. What am I doing wrong? What did I miss?" And, before you know it, it's months down the road and you're in the exact same place you were when you started. It's that dang merry-go-round. That rut. That time warp. You feel stuck. Pretty soon you've forgotten why you even started. What were you seeking in the first place? You're thinking that maybe you should give up and start all over again. But, if the problem isn't identified and rectified, then the pattern will continue to be repeated no matter where you go or how many times you start over.

So, what's the answer to the problem? What will make the spinning stop? That's where God's amazing mercy comes in. In Lamentations chapter 3, for 20 verses Jeremiah laments, cries, hurts, vents about his current pain and affliction. Verse 21 starts out with "But".  I love it when a scripture starts out with "But".  In the English language and sentence structure, but serves to discount everything that was said prior to that little three letter word. The remainder of the chapter (vs 21-32) is an honest acceptance of God's mercy. Take a look at vs 22-23:

22It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not.
23They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness.

Even if we might feel like we have the same problem and prayer request for days and months on end, we don't need to worry or feel lost or stuck because His mercy is NEW everyday. It's like waking up to a new car in my garage everyday. I can drive it without worry of running out of gas, or of scheduled service, or of breaking down. Even if I have an accident and total the car, it's okay because I get a brand new one in the morning!!! I don't have to be overhwelmed. Did you see that? Because of His mercy I'm not consumed!!! Even when I feel unloved, or dare I say, unloveable...I don't have to worry because His kindness to me comes from His great love for me. When nothing else in my life is stable. When no one in my life is faithful to me. He is. He is stable. He is faithful. I'm not. I don't deserve it. I'm so selfish, self-seeking, and focused on my own trials and suffering, that I forget to thank God for His new mercy EVERYDAY!!!

I love the final definition given above. It says, "alleviation of distress...relief". WOW! I've needed relief for weeks. And, I haven't gotten it because I haven't let Him show His mercy to me. I haven't accepted it. Honestly, I haven't even seen it because all I've seen is that rut (physical problems, emotional pain, confusion, job stress, physical problems, emotional pain, confusion, job stress...)

God, forgive me for not pursuing you--for not asking for help and then accepting it. For not being thankful for the mery and relief that you offer everyday!!! I'm asking for it now. I'm becoming aware of your blessing and your relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment